Week 1 of the 2012 college football season is in the books so it’s
time to assess and rank the teams. Here are the 25 best teams heading
into week 2.
1. Alabama – pure domination in dismissing the Wolverines.
2. LSU – just seemed to go through the motions week 1.
3. USC – defense played well but they’ll see tougher offenses.
4. Oregon – offense was firing on all cylinders.
They’ll keep working their way up the rankings.
5. Florida State – crushed their week 1 opponent
like they should have.
6. Texas – Wyoming stuck around but they eventually
put them away.
7. West Virginia – their offense was impressive.
8. Georgia – suspensions are hurting this team.
9. Arkansas – offense doesn’t seem to have missed a
beat but we’ll see how they do without Bobby Petrino when SEC play
10. Ohio State – a slow start turned into a blowout
for the Buckeyes.
11. South Carolina – pulled out a win on the road
against a good Vandy team.
12. Michigan State – got all they wanted in winning
a game against Boise State.
13. Florida – now that the QB situation is sorted,
they should improve.
14. Clemson – Impressive win gutting it out over
Auburn. Their defense looked good.
15. Oklahoma State – 84 points is impressive
regardless of who you’re beating.
16. Wisconsin – they sputtered in week 1.
17. Nebraska – looked good against Southern Miss.
Will the Rex Burkhead injury derail them?
18. Boise State – the new starters played well but
they just couldn’t get that big play to get them the win.
19. Oklahoma – the Sooners were disappointing. A
weak UTEP keep kept up with them for three quarters.
20. Michigan – disappointing start for the
Wolverines but wasn’t unexpected as far as I’m concerned. How do they
21. Virginia Tech – had to go to OT in week 1 but
they were able to make the plays to win. Georgia Tech is better than
people think so this win will look good at the end of the season.
22. Louisville – improved offense could make them
competitive when they make the BCS at the end of the year.
23. Tennessee – Tyler Bray came up big and the Vols
offense should be better than expected. Nice win over NC State to
start the year.
24. Stanford – struggled with San Jose State. The
Spartans might be better but Stanford needs to step it up if they want
to stick around in the top 25.
25. TCU – waiting to get started.
See last week’s rankings here.
Check back Thursday for our picks on all the big games of week 2.